Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Turn off that dang TV!

I have not written here in a while, and that is because I had nothing to say. It's hard to believe, I know, but I don't want to write just to make noise. I want my posts to make a difference, so I hope they do. Plus, I told the Lord that I wasn't going to write another post unless he told me specifically that I should.

Today, He told me I should.

What I'm going to chat with you about today comes from studying with my kids this morning.
Even though I've had a dramatic change of heart over the last few years, I still struggle with making myself sit down and study. And I mean study things that really matter like the Book of Mormon, Preserving the Restoration, or other "good books". I do it every Sunday, but every other day of the week... it's a real crap shoot.

Why, why, why?

Why is it so hard to commune with God even though once I start I absolutely LOVE it? When I study and pray, I feel beyond wonderful, and all of you out there who do it know what I mean. So what keeps me from doing it more often? I feel stupid saying, "Satan made me do it" (or not do it) because I have control over my own actions. At least I think so. *snicker*

I really want to share the gospel with my kids, and the Lord has specifically TOLD me to do it more often... during the week... and I don't.

My husband is out of town today, so we didn't take the sacrament this morning (and I seriously debated blessing it myself since God is no respecter of persons, so why not? but I'm not getting a yes answer on that so we skipped it today) I taught the kids from a section of the Lectures on Faith that talks about how we need to know that God IS, then understand who, what, and how He is, and then to understand that we are doing what He wants us to be doing in our lives. It's not about doing what's right per se, but about doing what is right for us specifically.

Each of  my kids (me included) wrote down what we think we are doing that the Lord specifically wants us to be doing and then we wrote down what we are doing that he doesn't want us doing. Like I said before, it wasn't a "right" or "wrong" lesson. I wanted it to be a soul searching experience of knowing where we stand with God. It was pretty cool. The younger kids (9 &11) had a harder time, but it still sank in, especially with my 17 yr old. He and I actually sat down together later and studied more of The Lectures on Faith. It was so fun, so empowering. Why don't I do this more often? Why am I so lazy? Why does Satan have so much power over me that I would rather veg out and watch TV than teach my kids the gospel? Well, it changes today! I've had too many awesome experiences with Him to waste what he's given me. So from now on, when he speaks to my mind and tells me, "it's time to teach the kids this or that," I promise to turn off the TV and do it.

I would encourage everyone to sit down with their families and do this--specifically talking about The Lectures on Faith. My kids know NOTHING about that book and it was exciting to teach them that it used to be part of the D &C, that it IS the Doctrine part of the D&C! They were amazed!

I want to share with you something that was on my list. Something I do that the Lord has specifically asked me not to. Can you believe I actually do things I've been told not to? I do. All the freakin time. Basically, I waste too much time doing things that don't matter. That's what He told me. I'm throwing away the finite hours I have left of this life. And when He says it like that, I feel very small. I don't like it when He gets after me. I don't like being scolded. Not many people do I suppose.

Now, I am healing and trying to get better, but I do still have to lie down and rest frequently. Which translates to "I watch too much TV". That is one of the things He has asked me to not do. It's very clear, and yet, I keep doing it. I mean, I'm tired. Why can't I watch TV? What's so wrong with it? I sound like a teenager, right?

Well, too much of a good thing isn't healthy, whether it's food, drugs, alcohol, or television! (or other technology) It's going to be hard because I developed habit while I was sick, one of which was television, and I enjoy it. A lot. But while I'm lying down, resting, there isn't much I feel like doing, but I could. I could pick up my scriptures or read other good books. I could meditate and pray. Good grief, these are way better things than wasting time watching mindless television that most of the time is NOT uplifting or wholesome.

My invitation to any and all who read this post is to sit down and figure out if you're doing what the Lord wants YOU to do, and also to pinpoint those things you are doing that you shouldn't be. (not right or wrong, but what is not effective in your life to bring you closer to HIM) It's a way cool experience, but be ready for the answer. He might just tell you to cancel your HBO account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I'd love to hear what you think.